Tomato Garlic Soup Recipe
I like to make this soup when I'm expecting a lot of people for dinner. My guests enjoy it, too.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 70 min. Cook: 1 hour YIELD:18-20 servings
- 10 whole garlic bulbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cans (one 14-1/2 ounces, three 28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 to 3 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 teaspoons garlic pepper blend
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Croutons and shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Drizzle with oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a blender. Add the 14-1/2-oz. can of diced tomatoes; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- 2. Transfer 1/4 cup oil from the foil to a Dutch oven or soup kettle (discard the remaining oil). Saute onion in oil over medium heat until tender.
- 3. Stir in the stewed tomatoes, cream, jalapenos, garlic pepper, sugar, salt, pureed tomato mixture and remaining diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Garnish with croutons and cheese if desired. Yield: 18-20 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 164 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 426 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC