- 10 whole garlic bulbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cans (one 14-1/2 ounces, three 28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 to 3 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 teaspoons garlic pepper blend
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Croutons and shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Drizzle with oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a blender. Add the 14-1/2-oz. can of diced tomatoes; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Transfer 1/4 cup oil from the foil to a Dutch oven or soup kettle (discard the remaining oil). Saute onion in oil over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in the stewed tomatoes, cream, jalapenos, garlic pepper, sugar, salt, pureed tomato mixture and remaining diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Garnish with croutons and cheese if desired. Yield: 18-20 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Tomato Garlic Soup in Country Extra May 1999, p51
Reviews for Tomato Garlic Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 7, 2011
"This soup was DELICIOUS! It was extremely rich in flavor. I especially loved it with extra parmesan cheese!"