Tomato Garlic Chicken
I came up with this recipe many years ago as a way to warm up my family during cooler weather. The appealing aroma of garlic and fresh basil wafts through the house as it bakes.—Barbara Hasanat, Tucson, Arizona
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + standing Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- In a large bowl, combine garlic and salt; let stand for 15-20
- minutes. Add potatoes and 2 tablespoons oil.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer the potato mixture,
- onion, chicken and tomatoes. Sprinkle with basil. Drizzle with
- remaining oil.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes
- longer or until chicken juices run clear and potatoes are tender.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 762 calories, 39 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 131 mg cholesterol, 727 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 48 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as