Tomato-French Bread Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef, onion, celery and garlic over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain and set aside. Toast bread; line the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with 10 slices. Top with half of the meat mixture and half of the tomatoes.
- 2. Combine seasonings; sprinkle half over tomatoes. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Crumble remaining bread over top. Repeat layers of meat, tomatoes, seasonings and oil.
- 3. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in Parmesan. Pour over casserole. Top with mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is golden brown. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 280 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.