- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion, celery and garlic over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain and set aside. Toast bread; line the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with 10 slices. Top with half of the meat mixture and half of the tomatoes.
- Combine seasonings; sprinkle half over tomatoes. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Crumble remaining bread over top. Repeat layers of meat, tomatoes, seasonings and oil.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in Parmesan. Pour over casserole. Top with mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is golden brown. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Tomato-French Bread Lasagna
"Lovely tasty dinner for family and friends need to use bigger french slices of bread next time."
"Made recipe as stated, only added jar of spaghetti sauce about 24 oz, right in the middle of the casserole (before the repeat layers). Very flavorful and with the added sauce (as others suggest) it is not dry at all."
"We made this and added lots of tomato sauce as it is quite dry. The taste is just ok."
"Very Good will make again!"