Tomato Eggplant Salsa Recipe
Eggplant and a zippy combination of peppers, herbs and seasonings make this unique salsa a real crowd-pleaser. The recipe comes from field editor Anna Free of Plymouth, Ohio.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups cubed eggplant
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 5 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 green onions, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the water, red pepper, celery, jalapenos, garlic, bay leaf, half of the thyme and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Remove from the heat; discard bay leaf.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute eggplant in 1/4 cup oil until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the red pepper mixture, tomatoes, onions, salt and remaining thyme and oil. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: about 2-1/2 cups.
1/4 cup: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Tomato Eggplant Salsa
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC