Tomato Eggplant Bake Recipe
Cheesy and delicious, this casserole features a crisp crumb topping. It's a good meatless entree for a summer-time meal.—Faye Wortman, Evansville, Indiana
- 1 medium eggplant (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Salt to taste
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, cut into thirds
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Place eggplant slices in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
- 2. Preheat oven to 450°. Layer eggplant, tomato and onion in a lightly greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons butter; sprinkle with basil. Cover and bake 20 minutes.
- 3. Toss bread crumbs and remaining butter. Arrange mozzarella cheese over vegetables; sprinkle with crumb mixture and Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 245 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC