Cheesy and delicious, this casserole features a crisp crumb topping. It's a good meatless entree for a summer-time meal.—Faye Wortman, Evansville, Indiana
- 1 medium eggplant (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Salt to taste
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, cut into thirds
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Place eggplant slices in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Layer eggplant, tomato and onion in a lightly greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons butter; sprinkle with basil. Cover and bake 20 minutes.
- Toss bread crumbs and remaining butter. Arrange mozzarella cheese over vegetables; sprinkle with crumb mixture and Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Eggplant Bake in Taste of Home June/July 2005, p48
Reviews for Tomato Eggplant Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review