- 1 medium eggplant (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Salt to taste
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, cut into thirds
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Place eggplant slices in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Layer eggplant, tomato and onion in a lightly greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons butter; sprinkle with basil. Cover and bake 20 minutes.
- Toss bread crumbs and remaining butter. Arrange mozzarella cheese over vegetables; sprinkle with crumb mixture and Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Tomato Eggplant Bake
Sort By :
"I made this tonight as a side dish and it was amazing! Everyone loved it!"
"This was delicious, my entire family loved it. I did not sprinkle with the salt, I put them on a paper towel and with another paper towel I squeezed some moisture out. As others suggested I also used less butter."
"I love eggplant but was not really crazy about this recipe. I think it was the tomatoes that I did not like in it. I am not fond of hot tomatoes anyway. I made it exactly as the recipe, but used panko bread crumbs as one reviewer suggested. They were good in it. It was ok but not one I would repeat again."
"This recipe was so easy to make and incredibly delicious. Even my boyfriend was happy to eat this, actually went back for seconds. To think the night stared with him being pretty disappointed when I told him it was all veggies for dinner. I kept the recipe the same and wouldn't change a thing. It was really filling and I will make it again. I could see it being good with zucchini or summer squash in it as well."
"I have made this a number of times, but have changed a few things. I use less butter and do not add any to bread crumbs. I sprinkle a lite coat of bread crumbs and top it off with Mexican three cheese and Parmesan. It is my mock pizza."