Tomato Dumplings Recipe
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1. In large skillet, saute onion, green pepper and celery in butter until tender. Add bay leaf, tomatoes, brown sugar, basil, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, for dumplings, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter. Add parsley and milk; stir just until mixed.
- 3. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the simmering tomato mixture, creating six mounds; cover tightly and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into one of the dumplings comes out clean. Discard bay leaf. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 236 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 833 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Tomato Dumplings
"Can't believe I never rated this recipe - have been making it since it first appeared in the magazine, back in 1993. The only change I make is omitting the green pepper. It's very tasty!"
"I used the dumplings portion of this recipe with my own recipe for tomato soup. The dumplings will be a new staple for my family!"
"My husband loved this so much that he's requested it any time we have beef! I like it because it was simple to make with big taste."
"My mom use to make tomato dumpling all the time and it was one of my favorites. I never got the recipe from her, she was also from Texas. When I would tell others about this favorite, hoping to find the recipe, they would just look at me like they had never heard of such a thing. Thank You, can't wait to slap a lip on this delish dish again."
"I like to sprinkle cheddar cheese over the tops of the dumplings."