Tomato Dill Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh dill or 1 to 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1. In a large saucepan saute onion and garlic in oil and butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper; cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in tomato paste.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine flour and 1/2 cup of water; stir until smooth. Stir into saucepan. Gradually stir in remaining water until smooth; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Place mixture in a sieve over a large bowl. With the back of a spoon, press vegetables through the sieve to remove seeds and skin; return puree to pan. Add cream and dill; cook over low heat just until heated through (do not boil). Yield: 4 servings (1 quart).
1 cup: 351 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 387mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Tomato Dill Soup
"A lot of work for a pretty bland soup. We added additional salt, pepper and dill, but it still wasn't a winner in my book."
"This was a very bland soup and I really felt like I wasted my time and garden fresh tomatoes!"
"super simple to make! This soup is creamy and savory, I toasted some sourdough bread to have along with dinner!"
"Love this soup! I added more pepper and red pepper..Perfect:)"
"This is a very creamy soup that is easy to make, loaded with flavor, & tastes wonderful. My mom couldn't get enough of it :) This will be one that I will make a lot more."
"What is the purpose of whipping the cream if it is going to be stirred in and cooked?"