Tomato Dill Bread Recipe
Delicately flavored with various herbs, this bread disappears fast at our home here in the beautiful Wallowa Mountains of Oregon. It also makes great sandwiches.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in water; set aside. In a blender or food processor, puree tomatoes with oil, parsley, dill, oregano and salt. Add to yeast mixture. Add enough flour to make a smooth dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch down and divide in half; shape into loaves. Place into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake for 25 minutes longer or until done. Brush with melted butter. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 72 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC