Tomato Dill Bisque
My family really enjoys this soup when we make it from our garden tomatoes. When those tomatoes are plentiful, I make a big batch (without mayonnaise) and freeze it. Then we can enjoy it even after the garden is gone for the season.
5 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in butter until tender.
- Add tomatoes, water, bouillon, sugar and seasonings. Cover and
- simmer 10 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Remove from heat;
- cool slightly.
- Place tomato mixture in a blender, cover and process until pureed.
- Return to saucepan. If creamy soup is desired, stir in mayonnaise.
- Cook and stir over low heat until heated through. Serve warm. Yield:
- 5 servings (5 cups).
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with margarine and without mayonnaise) equals 2 vegetable, 1 fat; also, 108 calories, 572 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol,