Tomato-Cream Stuffed Chicken Recipe
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, combine first five ingredients. Carefully loosen the skin on one side of each chicken breast to form a pocket; spread cheese mixture under the skin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chicken on both sides in butter and oil.
- 2. Transfer to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine wine, tomatoes, shallot, garlic and basil. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook until reduced by half. Add cream and butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed chicken breast half with 1/4 cup sauce equals 847 calories, 65 g fat (34 g saturated fat), 265 mg cholesterol, 612 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 48 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.