Tomato Crab Soup Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 cup milk
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in butter for 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until onion is tender.
- 2. Whisk in the flour, pepper and salt until blended. Gradually stir in the broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in crab and basil. Gradually stir in milk; heat through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 126 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 0 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 0 fat.
Reviews for Tomato Crab Soup
"Excellent..I aded a bit more garlic, some Old Bay, a few more tomatoes, regular chicken broth (28 oz) , about 1/2 c. skim milk and 3/4 c. half and half... our own fresh basil..about 1/4 cup maybe less...Awesome with Merlot or Pinot Noir"