Clinton Liu sends this so-easy soup from Edmonds, Washington. With crab and bits of vegetables in every bite, this rich dish is sure to please all the seafood fans in your family. The fresh basil gives this soup a nice fresh flavor.
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 cup milk
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in butter for 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until onion is tender.
- Whisk in the flour, pepper and salt until blended. Gradually stir in the broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in crab and basil. Gradually stir in milk; heat through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Tomato Crab Soup in Light & Tasty December/January 2007, p52
Reviews for Tomato Crab Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 1, 2009
"Excellent..I aded a bit more garlic, some Old Bay, a few more tomatoes, regular chicken broth (28 oz) , about 1/2 c. skim milk and 3/4 c. half and half... our own fresh basil..about 1/4 cup maybe less...Awesome with Merlot or Pinot Noir"