Tomato Corn Chowder Recipe
Five common ingredients are all you'll need to prepare Sue McMichael's hearty full-flavored chowder. "This is a terrific soup, particularly as the cooler season sets in," writes the Redding, California cook. And at 55¢ a bowl, it's economical as well.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels. drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- 2. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add the corn, tomatoes and potatoes. Cook over medium heat for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 181 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 268 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC