Tomato Corn Bread Bake
Everyone in the family loves this dish, even the grandchildren. The corn bread topping nicely complements the ground beef, corn and tomatoes.—Lorraine Koehler, Watertown, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2-1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no
- longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, salt and pepper; bring
- to a boil. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- Combine corn bread mix, egg and milk just until moistened. Spoon over
- meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or
- until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Combine any leftover tomatoes from Tomato Corn Bread Bake with your favorite salsa and serve with tortilla chips while the casserole bakes.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 422 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 958 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein.