Tomato Chicken Rice Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a small nonstick skillet, brown flour over medium-high heat; set aside. In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper, celery and green onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 7 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 197 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 682 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.