My family is fond of cheese, so I have many recipes calling for that delectable ingredient. This rich bread is a great way to showcase garden-fresh tomatoes. Serve it as a snack or with your favorite grilled meats.
Recommended: 66 Recipes for Super Bowl Snacks
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a bowl, combine biscuit mix and milk just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-12 times. Press onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Arrange tomato slices over top.
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and oregano. Spoon over tomatoes. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Tomato-Cheese Snack Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p108
Reviews for Tomato-Cheese Snack Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 14, 2011
"The warm cheese and tomato combination is very tasty. Every person who has tasted it loved it and asked where I found the recipe."