Couple this warm, cheesy bread with salad, soup or even an entree. “If you’d like, you can add other pizza toppings,” notes Janet Watson of Crown Point, Indiana.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Butter one side of each slice of bread; place buttered side up on a foil-lined baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, fennel seed and pepper flakes if desired. Spread over butter.
- Top with tomato slices; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Cheese Sandwiches in Taste of Home October/November 2006, p19
Reviews for Tomato Cheese Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review