Tomato Cheddar Fondue
In addition to shrimp, I serve this cheesy fondue with French bread cubes. Every bite tastes like a little gourmet grilled cheese sandwich. —Roberta Rotelle, Honey Brook, Pennsylvania
14 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 6 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Cubed French bread and cooked shrimp
- Rub garlic clove over the bottom and sides of a fondue pot; discard
- garlic and set pot aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, wine, butter, basil and
- cayenne; bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Reduce heat to low.
- Toss cheese with flour; gradually add to tomato mixture, stirring
- after each addition until cheese is melted.
- Transfer to prepared fondue pot and keep warm. Serve with bread cubes
- and shrimp. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without bread and shrimp) equals 118 calories, 10 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.