Fresh tomatoes star in this delicious casserole from Debbie Campbell of Peterborough, Ontario. “This is a great side dish, very simple and fast,” she says. “It's especially tasty when tomatoes are from the garden or, in my case, when I get a basket from the farmers' market.”
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 6 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine
- the bread crumbs, cheese and butter; sprinkle over tomato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 129 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 334 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.