Fresh tomatoes star in this delicious casserole from Debbie Campbell of Peterborough, Ontario. “This is a great side dish, very simple and fast,” she says. “It's especially tasty when tomatoes are from the garden or, in my case, when I get a basket from the farmers' market.”
- 6 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, sugar, salt and pepper. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese and butter; sprinkle over tomato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Casserole in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p32
Reviews for Tomato Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 4, 2010
"I found the onion to be a little much - but size is in the eye of the beholder. I will go with about 1/2 cup chopped onion next time. Otherwise, it's a good summer time recipe."