Fresh tomatoes star in this delicious casserole from Debbie Campbell of Peterborough, Ontario. “This is a great side dish, very simple and fast,” she says. “It's especially tasty when tomatoes are from the garden or, in my case, when I get a basket from the farmers' market.”
Recommended: 50 Hearty Breakfast Casseroles
- 6 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, sugar, salt and pepper. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese and butter; sprinkle over tomato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Casserole in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p32
Reviews for Tomato Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 4, 2010
"I found the onion to be a little much - but size is in the eye of the beholder. I will go with about 1/2 cup chopped onion next time. Otherwise, it's a good summer time recipe."