Tomato Bread Recipe
I enjoy making homemade bread with this recipe. When I make toasted cheese sandwiches with this bread, it's just like eating pizza.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 cups tomato or V8 juice
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt, oregano, garlic powder, basil and rosemary. In a large saucepan, heat the tomato juice, tomato sauce and oil to 120°-130°, stirring occasionally. Add the dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into two loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 102 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 147 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC