Tomato Bread Salad Recipe
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) French bread
- 1. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber and onion. In a small bowl, combine basil, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- 2. Pour over tomatoes and toss. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 3. Before serving, allow salad to come to room temperature. Cut bread in half lengthwise; toast under broiler until lightly browned. Top with salad. Serve immediately. Yield: 18 servings.
1 slice: 188 calories, 7g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 262mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Tomato Bread Salad
"It's an easy good dinner. It makes other's jealous easily."
"I have been making this salad since I first got the recipe in 1993. It is a favorite with my husband especially. I have made it many times."