Tomato Bread Salad
We look forward to tomato season each year so we can make this unique and tasty recipe. It's a super dish for lunch, especially on warm summer days, and a great way to use your garden onions, cucumbers and tomatoes. It also makes a good appetizer.
18 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + marinating
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) French bread
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber and onion. In a small
- bowl, combine basil, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour over tomatoes and toss. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Before serving, allow salad to come to room temperature. Cut bread in
- half lengthwise; toast under broiler until lightly browned. Top with
- salad. Serve immediately. Yield: 18 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (with a 1-inch slice of white bread) equals 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat; also, 188 calories, 262 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 28 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm protein, 7 gm fat.