Tomato Bread Salad Recipe
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) French bread
- 1. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber and onion. In a small bowl, combine basil, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- 2. Pour over tomatoes and toss. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 3. Before serving, allow salad to come to room temperature. Cut bread in half lengthwise; toast under broiler until lightly browned. Top with salad. Serve immediately. Yield: 18 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (with a 1-inch slice of white bread) equals 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat; also, 188 calories, 262 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 28 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm protein, 7 gm fat.