- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) French bread
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber and onion. In a small bowl, combine basil, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour over tomatoes and toss. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Before serving, allow salad to come to room temperature. Cut bread in half lengthwise; toast under broiler until lightly browned. Top with salad. Serve immediately. Yield: 18 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Bread Salad in Taste of Home August/September 1993, p27
Reviews for Tomato Bread Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 17, 2011
"It's an easy good dinner. It makes other's jealous easily."
Reviewed Jul. 14, 2010
"I have been making this salad since I first got the recipe in 1993. It is a favorite with my husband especially. I have made it many times."