We look forward to tomato season each year so we can make this unique and tasty recipe. It's a super dish for lunch, especially on warm summer days, and a great way to use your garden onions, cucumbers and tomatoes. It also makes a good appetizer.
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) French bread
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber and onion. In a small bowl, combine basil, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour over tomatoes and toss. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Before serving, allow salad to come to room temperature. Cut bread in half lengthwise; toast under broiler until lightly browned. Top with salad. Serve immediately. Yield: 18 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Bread Salad in Taste of Home August/September 1993, p27
Reviews for Tomato Bread Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 17, 2011
"It's an easy good dinner. It makes other's jealous easily."
Reviewed Jul. 14, 2010
"I have been making this salad since I first got the recipe in 1993. It is a favorite with my husband especially. I have made it many times."