Tomato Bread Salad
While "bread salad" may sound unusual, you'll find that this blend from Joan Gwynn of Watsonville, California is unusually good. A simple dressing jazzes up a medley of bread cubes, tomatoes, basil and red onion.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing
- 8 cups cubed Italian or French bread
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a large bowl, combine the bread, tomatoes, basil and onion. In a
- small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients; drizzle over
- bread mixture. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 234 calories, 15 g fat (2 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 343 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.