Tomato Bounty Salsa Recipe
- 9 pounds yellow tomatoes (25 to 30 medium)
- 4 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add tomatoes, a few at a time; boil for 30 seconds. Drain and immediately place tomatoes in ice water. Drain and pat dry; peel and finely chop.
- 2. In a stockpot, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until desired thickness. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 20 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 9 pints.
Editor's Note: When cutting hot peppers, disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face. The processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
1/4 cup: 21 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable.