- TOMATO GROUND BEEF MIX:
- 4 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 to 3 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- SHEPHERD'S PIE:
- 3 cups warmed mashed potatoes (prepared with added milk and butter), divided
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, celery, parsley, salt, Italian seasoning, rosemary and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover; simmer 15 minutes longer.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and soup mix; spread into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with 2 cups beef mix and remaining potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
- Cool remaining beef mix. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze in 2-cup portions in freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before using. Yield: 1 shepherd's pie (6 servings) plus 14 cups tomato ground beef mix.
Originally published as Tomato Beef Shepherd's Pie in Ground Beef Recipes 2012 2012, p73
This recipe pairs well with a medium red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Santa Margherita Chianti Classico Reserva Italy 2009. Initial tastes of fruits and spice move to herbal notes for a long smooth finish. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Tomato Beef Shepherd's Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review