Tomato Beef and Rice Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Place in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 1-1/2 hours, stirring once or twice. Uncover during the last 15 minutes to brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 267 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 413 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Reviews for Tomato Beef and Rice Casserole
"Super easy recipe! A snap to adjust taste preferences by changing spices and/or type of tomatoes. Did add more chili powder & garlic for my taste and used petite diced tomatoes with jalapenos. Next will try Italian-spiced tomatoes and dry Italian seasoning instead of chili powder. May even use bulk Italian sausage instead of ground beef. BTW you don't brown the meat. The juices and fat flavor the casserole and add moistness. Enjoy!"
"Ya I think your right! Thanks so much!Cindy♥
"Cindy, I'm going to say no. I haven't made this but guessing that it may dry the dish out if the ground beef is cooked. My mom use to brown her beef before making her cabbage rolls and they were always dry. I never cook mine but roll it up with rice and tomatoes and the rolls are never dry. This dish looks about the same. "
"Do you Brown the ground beef first? ThanksCindy"