Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- 4 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (49 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 5 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook carrots and onion in butter over medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- 2. In a blender, place 1/2 broth and the cooled vegetables; cover and process until blended. Return to the Dutch oven. Stir in the tomato puree, basil sugar, salt, pepper and remaining broth.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Gradually stir in evaporated milk; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups: 201 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 1004mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Tomato Basil Soup
"Soooooo good! Very easy to make and very comforting!"
"My favorite tomato soup. I've made it at least a dozen times. Thank you for the great recipe!"
"easy to make. Mixed thoughts on the taste. I really enjoyed it, my husband said he thought it tasted like spaghetti sauce and my mom said that she could eat it, but thought she could taste the carrots too much(Probably cause she saw them going in.) Had this left over for lunch the next day and was even better. The flavours meld together wonderfully."
"Awesome!! I've already made it twice. Excellent and easy (not time consuming at all!). Good just the way the recipe is written!"
"I love this soup it's delicious. I don't mind it being a little chunky so I use a potato masher instead of the blender which makes it faster to prepare."
"This soup was worth the time. We loved it."
"This was too time consuming and it was a little bland."
"This was awesome the closest thing to one a local restaurant serves.I didn't use the blender as I don't mind the texture the way it is. Excellent"