Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- 4 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (49 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 5 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook carrots and onion in butter over medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- 2. In a blender, place 1/2 broth and the cooled vegetables; cover and process until blended. Return to the Dutch oven. Stir in the tomato puree, basil sugar, salt, pepper and remaining broth.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Gradually stir in evaporated milk; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 201 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 1,004 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 fat-free milk.