Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- 4 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (49 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 5 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook carrots and onion in butter over medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- In a blender, place 1/2 broth and the cooled vegetables; cover and process until blended. Return to the Dutch oven. Stir in the tomato puree, basil sugar, salt, pepper and remaining broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Gradually stir in evaporated milk; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Tomato Basil Soup(8)
Sort By :
I used 2 pints of canned tomatoes instead of puree. Then after it done simmering, I threw it all back in the blender to puree the tomatoes to make the soup very smooth. Next time I will puree the tomatoes in blender before adding to soup...less batches in the blender
Awesome!! I've already made it twice. Excellent and EASY (not time consuming at all!). Good just the way the recipe is written!
I'm not big on Tomato soup. But I made this anyway. This was so good, it beats the Campbell Tomato Soup all the way. This recipe just made me a fan of Tomato soup now. Excellent
I love this soup it's delicious. I don't mind it being a little chunky so I use a potato masher instead of the blender which makes it faster to prepare.
This is my husbands favorite soup. I make it about often through out the winter months. It is easy, the flavor is addicting and it warms the belly as well as the soul. I have made it in double batches and frozen the leftovers for a fast homemade meal in a hurry.
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Tomato Basil Recipes >