My nephew helped me create these soft and colorful rolls. He named them “wheelies” because the spiral shapes remind him of his toy trucks. —Dianna Wara, Washington, Illinois
Recommended: 22 Recipes for Garlic Lovers
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk. In a large bowl, beat egg, tomato paste, oil, salt, yeast mixture and 1 cup flour on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- In a bowl, toss filling ingredients. Punch down dough; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices.
- Place, cut side down, in a parchment paper-lined 10-in. cast-iron skillet. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove rolls to a wire rack.
Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled rolls in foil; place in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, partially thaw overnight in refrigerator. Reheat rolls, wrapped in foil, in a preheated 300° oven until warm, about 25 minutes. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Tomato-Basil Pull-Apart Rolls in Simple & Delicious October/November 2016
Reviews for Tomato-Basil Pull-Apart Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review