Tomato Basil Fettuccine
"The first time I tried this creamy pasta dish, my husband gave it a 'gold star' rating," notes Martha Hightower from Greenville, North Carolina. "I sometimes add chopped cooked chicken."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a
- large nonstick skillet, saute onion and red pepper flakes in butter
- until onion is tender. Add tomatoes and salt; cook and stir over
- medium-high heat until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in
- milk. Drain fettuccine and place in a large bowl. Add the basil,
- Parmesan cheese and tomato mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving equals 236 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 507 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat,