Tomato-Basil Drop Biscuits Recipe
I grow fresh basil in my garden each summer. I use it in almost everything I cook. It really gets your taste buds going.—Shirley A. Glaab, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh tomato, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. Add tomato; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in basil. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and tomato mixture just until combined.
- 3. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 98 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 204 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC