- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh tomato, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- In a small skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. Add tomato; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in basil. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and tomato mixture just until combined.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Tomato-Basil Drop Biscuits in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p41
Reviews for Tomato-Basil Drop Biscuits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 23, 2012
"THere is too much basil and they are't very tasty"