Tomato Basil Couscous Salad
This is a great salad for picnics since the dressing is made with oil and vinegar, not mayonnaise. It's so good, though, that I serve it year-round.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) couscous
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup seeded diced plum tomatoes
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil; add couscous. Cover and
- remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large
- bowl; fluff with a fork and cool.
- Stir in the onions, tomatoes, basil, oil, vinegar, pepper flakes,
- salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Garnish with
- tomatoes. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 223 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 389 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.