Tomato-Basil Couscous Salad
It’s hard to believe that tossing a few pantry ingredients with summer’s fresh best can yield such a lovely salad. Pair it with grilled lemon chicken for a light lunch. —Sonya Labbe, West Hollywood, California
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked couscous
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove
- from the heat; cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes or until water
- is absorbed. Fluff with a fork; cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the couscous, tomatoes and basil. In a small
- bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over salad; toss
- to coat. Refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 255 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.