Tomato-Basil Chicken Spirals Recipe
- 2 cups finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) spiral pasta
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute the onion, basil and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Add chicken to the tomato mixture; heat through. Drain pasta. Top with chicken mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 373 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 3 vegetable.