Tomato Basil Bruschetta Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups chopped seeded plum tomatoes
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Romano cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- 1. Using 2 tablespoons oil, lightly brush one side of bread slices. Place bread oil side up on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, pimientos, chopped basil, vinegar, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper flakes and pepper; stir in cheese.
- 3. Place a whole basil leaf on each slice of toast bread. Top with tomato mixture. Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Serve immediately. Yield: 20 appetizers.
One serving piece equals 85 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 168 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.