“It’s easy to double this great recipe for a crowd. You can make the tomato topping ahead, or keep it simple and serve it as a dip for the French bread slices.” —Marie Cosenza, Cortlandt Manor, New York
Recommended: 36 Ways to Love Toast
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, onions, 2 tablespoons oil, basil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Lightly brush both sides of bread slices with remaining oil. Arrange on ungreased baking sheets. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Rub garlic over bread slices. With a slotted spoon, top each slice with tomato mixture. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Tomato-Basil Bruschetta in Simple & Delicious June/July 2010, p27
Reviews for Tomato-Basil Bruschetta Appetizer
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 30, 2010
"We tried this recipe and LOVED it. It has the perfect flavor blend for a yummy bruschetta!"