“It’s easy to double this great recipe for a crowd. You can make the tomato topping ahead, or keep it simple and serve it as a dip for the French bread slices.” —Marie Cosenza, Cortlandt Manor, New York
22 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, onions, 2 tablespoons oil,
- basil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Lightly brush both sides of bread slices with remaining oil. Arrange
- on ungreased baking sheets. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3
- minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Rub garlic over bread slices. With a slotted spoon, top each slice
- with tomato mixture. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 84 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 162 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.