Tomato Barley Soup Recipe
- 4-1/2 to 5 pounds broiler/fryer chicken pieces, skin removed
- 4 quarts water
- 6 large carrots, sliced
- 5 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried savory
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 bottle (32 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1. In a stockpot, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 2 hours.
- 2. Remove chicken; allow to cool. Skim fat from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to pan.
- 3. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until barley and rice are tender. Yield: 28 servings (7 quarts).
Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium tomato juice and without added salt) equals 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch; also, 105 calories, 110 mg sodium, 21 mg cholesterol, 14 gm carbohydrate, 9 gm protein, 2 gm fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.