I came up with this saucy chicken during a particularly busy holiday season. As new parents, my husband and I both appreciate having a go-to dinner that's easy, homemade and delicious. —Anne Colvin, Chicago, Illinois
Featured In: 30 Ways to Cook Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked orzo
- Place carrots and shallots in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker; top with chicken. In a bowl, whisk flour and broth until smooth; stir in tomatoes, vinegar, oil, garlic and seasonings. Pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low until chicken and carrots are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf and, if desired, skim fat from carrot mixture.
Remove chicken from bones; shred slightly with two forks. Return to slow cooker and heat through. Serve with orzo.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Balsamic Chicken in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017
Reviews for Tomato Balsamic Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review