Tomato Bacon Spinach Salad
To dress up her swift spinach salad, Wendy Barnwell blends bottled Catalina dressing with warm bacon drippings and mustard. "It's a tasty addition to summer menus," shares the Fortuna, California cook. "I'm sure your family will enjoy this salad as much as mine."
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/3 cup Catalina salad dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups baby spinach or torn fresh spinach
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue or feta cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove
- to paper towels. drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings. Add
- the salad dressing, mustard, salt and pepper to the drippings; cook
- and stir over low heat until heated through.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, tomatoes, cheese and
- bacon. Drizzle with warm dressing; toss gently to coat. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 138 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 501 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.