To dress up her swift spinach salad, Wendy Barnwell blends bottled Catalina dressing with warm bacon drippings and mustard. "It's a tasty addition to summer menus," shares the Fortuna, California cook. "I'm sure your family will enjoy this salad as much as mine."
Recommended: Our Best Bacon Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/3 cup Catalina salad dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups baby spinach or torn fresh spinach
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue or feta cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings. Add the salad dressing, mustard, salt and pepper to the drippings; cook and stir over low heat until heated through.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, tomatoes, cheese and bacon. Drizzle with warm dressing; toss gently to coat. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Bacon-Tomato Spinach Salad in Quick Cooking July/August 2002, p20
Reviews forTomato Bacon Spinach Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 3, 2009
"I have made this salad a couple of times and I really enjoy it and will continue to make it."