Tomato Asparagus Salad
Instead of reaching for the old reliable head of iceberg lettuce to make a plain salad, whip up this refreshing variation instead. With just six ingredients, it's a cinch to prepare and makes an attractive presentation. The fresh flavor of the asparagus and tomato complement each other well.—Ruby Williams, Bogalusa, Louisiana
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 6 romaine leaves
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus;
- cover and boil for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and
- immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- Line a serving platter with romaine leaves; top with torn romaine.
- Arrange asparagus over romaine; top with tomatoes. Drizzle with
- dressing and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 62 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 174 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 vegetable.