Tomato and Cheese Strata Recipe
- 10 slices white bread
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Line a greased 8-in. square baking dish with four bread slices. Layer with half of the tomatoes, cheese and onions. Top with remaining bread (slices will overlap). Layer with remaining tomatoes, cheese and onions.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and salt. Pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 piece: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Tomato and Cheese Strata
"Very mushy, watery, didnt turn out how expected!"
"WAY too much bread; it was very mushy when done. I'd halve the bread and egg mixture, leaving the same amount of tomatoes without placing a layer of bread on top."
"Didn't turn out worthwhile"
"This sounded good but turned out very watery and mushy. If I made again, would use less water and less tomatoes."